Tuesday, October 29, 2013

God isn't finished with me yet



I came within inches of having a horrid wreck last night.

Yesterday I drove three hours to watch my 8th grade granddaughter play Volleyball. My drive home to Estes Park was eventful. I was on highway 119, it was around 7:00 p.m., and it was foggy enough for me to have my windshield wipers on slow. I was traveling around 35 mph, there were two vehicles behind me, and as I steered to the right to go around a mountain curve, I lost control on the ice. The car spun around and headed for the left hand shoulder. There was no guardrail, no visible trees; just an obvious drop-off. I was driving a Solstice convertible and I remember thinking, "Oh My God!" I really thought I was going over the edge of the road into the black night seeing nothing that could stop me from going straight down the mountain.

Suddenly, the car turned sharp to the right and stopped abruptly on the gray gravel shoulder with the car facing the highway. I didn't wreck! I pushed on the gas and inched my way off the narrow shoulder and back onto the right lane. The two cars behind me, that had stopped when they saw my loss of control, passed me after I was moving forward with no visible evidence of harm.

During those terrifying seconds, there was no oncoming traffic. Had there been, since I was in their lane of travel and they had no means of seeing me until they rounded the curve, they would have hit me head-on or broad-side, and we both could have gone over the edge.

My left hand automatically flew over my mouth. I crept along the right side of the road for several miles, my hand still over my mouth. I don't remember breathing, or thinking. I do remember whispering, many times, "Thank you sweet Jesus!"

I still had at least 40 miles to drive to get home, and somehow, I did.

I am trying to work my way through the maze of book publishing. I have written My Clients - My Teachers, a book about 54 mental health clients and one therapist disclosing the heart and soul of psychotherapy. I get very discouraged and lost. After my harrowing experience on highway 119, in the dark heavy fog, I know God isn't finished with me yet. I am still here to finish what I have begun and what could help so many people.

Wish me luck, although I think I am about the luckiest person I know right at the moment.

Until the next time: Live while you live 
Call 911, without hesitation, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

3 comments:

  1. WOW ----what a great article. Sounded like an exciting trip. Glad you are safe. Keep up with the good articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly was....I guess you had to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, glad he is not done with you yet because I really want to see you again! Gotta love those angels. Nice read my friend.

    ReplyDelete