Sunday, August 11, 2013

Life is our best professor


I believe life is about learning, and the older I get the more I realize our lessons come to us - we do not need to go searching for them. I also have come to know that our teachers are seldom kind, sweet, and gentle.


This week I have been struggling to figure out what I am suppose to learn from an experience I had via email. A close family member sent me a message specifically accusing me of a heinous act.

What am I suppose to learn from this? I've walked and talked and prayed and written and thought. My heart hurts, my head aches, and body screams with questions. Just when I think I am about to put the pieces together, a new memory pops up and I am back to confusion.

I've learned what it feels like to become an instant victim; I've learned, again, that I should not trust someone just because they are family; I've learned the value of having a supportive spouse; I've learned, again, that kindness does not always beget kindness; I've learned, again, the venom of jealousy; and the immense power of one's thoughts.

I forgive her because I know she needs help. She needs regular therapy, she needs drugs that don't just allow her to sleep most of the day, but drugs that help her cope and live life fully. 

I also know I do not need to learn the lesson of her wrath again, I got it. I can care for her, but I can also care for myself and guard against being in situations where she gets the opportunity to fabricate other defaming stories.

I have gained compassion for people who are falsely blamed for crimes they did not commit. It is a helpless feeling. 

May you all learn from my experience: be careful who you trust, and love yourself enough to create safe boundaries from anyone, even family, who intentionally and maliciously impose harm.

Don't forget the given: we have no control over someone else, because we don't control their thoughts. But, we have 100% control of ourselves. THAT is the good news.


Until the next time: Live while you live!

Call 911, without hesitation, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment