Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The value of thinking

Sitting in a quaint little coffee shop in Bisbee AZ, looking around the room at people reading, working on their computers, asking the barista if there is any healthy food, or just drinking their favorite brew and looking out the window onto Main Street and Tombstone Canyon, I can't help but ponder the value of time to just sit and think.

I love drive time, walking time, writing time, and kneeling in church time, because all four activate my thoughts. These are times when my head connects with my heart and my creativity is accessed. We must allow time for the inside of us to surface so we can understand what distinguishes us from the masses.

How can we ever get to know ourselves if we never take time to build a relationship with the person who lives in our spine?

As a counselor, when I closed the door to my office, and the world left me alone with my client, I was more connected to my true self than any other time of the day. I was congruent for the benefit of helping, but it was truly a gift to me. I described it as transformation-from the outer Jennifer to the inner, wiser Dr. J.

So, figure out your activities that allow thinking time; true-self time to think. Grant yourself priority and become more of who you really are!


Until the next time: Live while you live!

Call 911, without hesitation, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment