Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mother Nature is like a bad parent

I have been in Estes Park, CO during the flood that started on Wednesday, 9-11-13. I have been thankful to have a home on high ground, electricity, internet service, and TV. Many have not been close to being so fortunate.

As the rain stopped and I was able to get out and walk around our damaged little town, I was humbled by the power of Mother Nature. The Big Thompson RAGED; it growled, groaned, roared, and violated everything it touched. It was like a scene in a horror movie. It carried sand, branches, lawn loungers, yard toys, and trees. It pushed bridges, paved highways, houses, boulders, and chunks of mountain over like they were miniatures in a dollhouse.

When it had released the bulk of its adrenalin, it relaxed like the aftermath of a tonic-clonic seizure (formerly known as a grand mal seizure) As the days passed and the water from the Big Thompson, Pouder, and St. Vrain, merged and invaded the northeastern plains, it was more like a thief in the night. It flowed in and spread out, and instead of destroying everything in its path, it filled everything with water, isolated it from services, and left it for someone else to abandon or repair.

I'm not happy with Mother Nature! I think she holds grudges, stores angry emotions, and then unloads. She loves us then she beats on us - literally; just like a bad, volatile parent; one who has a diagnosable personality disorder.

Just my thoughts for this Sunday morning. Writing it helps me face the destruction I will witness on my way to Our Lady of the Mountains.

Until the next time: Live while you live! 
Call 911, without hesitation, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment