Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A smaller environment can help us feel more significant


Sitting on the deck of the Carnival Sunshine, docked in Naples, Italy, waiting for our friends to finish breakfast and meet us for debarkation, I look ahead to see a city of hills camouflaged with tall, neutral buildings. Across the large dock, I see the huge Norwegian EPIC cruise ship. The Princess DAWN is docked in front of us. Below me I watch people of every size, shape, age, and color getting off our ship with visible excitement for the awaited adventures of the day in Naples, Pompei, Sorrento, or Capri. 


I am so far from the security and comforts of home, and as each port passes, I feel smaller; a mere spot in the dynamics of the world.

The realization of my insignificance in the masses helps me put my daily problems, worries, and hurts in perspective; three million people in Barcelona, two and one-half million in Florence, 60 million in all of Italy, (according to the cab drivers) three thousand people on this ship....and the next....and the next; it's all quite humbling.

I resist seeing myself as a speck on the earth, but I fear it is true. The thought also offers a bit of freedom; I am so minute I do not have much affect, if any, on the health, wellness, or wisdom of  the universe. 

That must be why we shrink our personal world; we need to believe our existence makes a difference to someone or something. Because of that, I look forward to getting home and hugging my kids, both big and small, pressing towards my publishing goals, and renewing my belief that my choices do make a difference, to someone.

Until the next time: Live while you live! 

Call 911, without hesitation, if you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment